Harash-Ofan was established in 1950 by Menachem Goldberg. Initially, the company imported Philips bicycles and Ariel motorcycles from England. In 1951, Goldberg opened a factory for the production of bicycles. In the phone books of that period, the factory‘s address was listed as follows: "Harash-Ofan factory, near Barzelit" (a well-known metalworking factory in the industrial zone of Petach Tikva). Sometime later, this location was given a street address - 7 Shenkar Arie Street.During the height of production, the factory manufactured 600 bicycles a month. The most popular model was a size 28 bicycle for men. In the early 1960s, two new models quickly became popular: a bicycle for women without a top tube, and a bicycle for children. The factory also produced spare parts, which were sold on the Israeli market. Most of the parts were manufactured at the factory, while the assembly process itself took place at the Tel Aviv shop.In 1962, the factory came under the management of Asher Kasher, who married to Edna Goldberg, the founder‘s granddaughter. At that time, the factory logo was rebranded as HOC (Harash-Ofan Cycle).These initials were embellished by a lion holding onto the tip of the elongated H, which was traversed by a bicycle wheel. This logo was first created in metal, and was later reproduced as a sticker. The use of a foreign name appealed to local consumers, who still identified it as the sign of a high-quality product. The factory, which continues to operate, now mainly produces custom-made cargo bicycles, delivery bicycles, and rickshaws. It currently has only two workers Kasher, the director, and Haim Moskovsky, one of the factory‘s founders.
photo: Benny Gam Zo Letova