Nachum Shurek (1903-1990) was 13 years old when he began working for the Polish bicycle industry. In 1925, he opened a bicycle shop in Tel Aviv together with his brother, Melech Shurek. Initially, thetwo brothers imported bicycles manufactured by the British Hercules and SKZ companies and the American Harley Davidson Company. In 1935, the shop moved to 35 Nahalat Binyamin Street, and was renamed N.M.S - the initials of the two brothers‘ names. In the late 1940s, the shop moved to 8-10 Hashomer Street in Tel Aviv. In the early 1950s, Shurek himself began manufacturing bicycles. He imported the metal pipes from England and Holland, and the entire production and assembling was local. In 1958, he also began importing folding bicycles manufactured by the German Bauer company, which met with great success.In 1956, Shurek purchased new, cutting-edge English machinery and began manufacturing bicycles under the name Dahar - a name suggested by the Academy of the Hebrew Language as befitting thecompany‘s logo, which was a horse. Dahar became the first Israeli company to sell its bicycles abroad, exporting them to Turkey through the mediation of the Consolidated Near East.During its period of activity, the Dahar factory largely manufactured work bicycles sizes 24, 26, and 28, and imported tricycles for children. The company store closed down in 1985 after some seven decades of activity. Nachum Shurek passed away in 1990 at age 87.
photo: Benny Gam Zo Letova