Avraham Michelson immigrated to the country from Plonsk, Poland, in 1933. His father, Hanoch, opened a repair shop that specialized in sewing machines and additional types of repairs. Avraham studied mechanical and electric engineering both locally and in France. In 1939, he left France on the last ship that departed from Europe before the war, and traveled home via Alexandria. Following his return, he and his father founded the first local bicycle factory.The factory, which grew out of the family workshop, opened in 1940 in a yard at 5 Simtat Hamoatza (later renamed Feinberg Street) in Givatayim. The factory produced the bicycle chassis, pedals, axles, front platform support and fenders, and more. Initially, only two models were produced: one for women and one for men. At the height of its success, the factory employed approximately 30 workers, including the owner‘s wife Lea and his children, who worked during school vacations.
The Michelson bicycles were known throughout the country for their strength and sturdiness, and were even purchased for everyday use by the kibbutzim in the Jezreel Valley. The factory was closed down in the early 1990s. Avraham Michelson passed away in 1997.
photo: Benny Gam Zo Letova